The principles of land policy in Kenya are stated under Article 60(1) of the Constitution.
The objective of these principle is to establish values and systems that ensure that land and associated resources are held, used and managed efficiently, productively and sustainably.
These principles include:
- Equitable access to land.
- Security of land rights.
- Sustainable and productive management of land resources.
- Transparent and cost effective administration of land.
- Sound conservation and protection of ecologically sensitive areas.
- Elimination of gender discrimination in law, customs and practices related to land and property in land.
- Encouragement of communities to settle land disputes through recognized local community initiatives consistent with the Constitution.